Sunday, December 29, 2013

Welcome to the Fortress of Snarkitude

Well , it took three months but I did it ; the Snarky the Elf Halloween adventure has been completed and is now online at her website :
Snarky the Elf , specifically A Snarky Fangsgrieving . Considering the setbacks that plagued the production from the outset you might wonder why I bother ? The answer is rather simple , Snarky and the gang at the North Pole bring me a great deal of joy .



Looking back , this new story bears little resemblance to my original plot , although that aspect of the Snarky Halloween Special NEVER changed ; everything that revolved around that plot just got richer and more involved as these silly little dolls came to life and led me into their world . It is indeed quite a departure from Snarky the Elf's humble origins even her follow-up from 2012 Fear the Season . Amusing since the story idea was inspired by an episode of Gilligan's Island . I should probably write Sherwood Schwartz a thank you note ( is he still amongst us ? )


At the beginning of 2013 I was toying with the idea of turning Snarky the Elf into a commodity , but decided that commercializing her would somehow lessen her , the storyline that evolved during the holiday season of 2013 ccertainly put some credence to that decision - considering that ALL three deadlines I set for myself were missed for one reason or another . Business don't be playing that " missed deadline " routine . Snarky is better for that decision despite the " curse " that befell this particular production . I came close to losing hope a few times , but Snarky kept beckoning and in the end won out . I'm learning NOT to argue with her , or not pay heed to what she's telling me or where she wants to take me . Snarky knows even if I don't .


As I begin the process of dismantling the sets and putting them in storage , a somewhat melancholy task considering all that atmosphere they provide my studio ; I can't help but ponder what's next ? Of course , I should confide that as the Snarky The Elf sets are concerned , " storage " is not quite as dismal as it might seem  . . . they are fairly large and akin to doll houses so some actually remain for the most intact , simply relocated to a space that while not conducive to photography still allows them to transform my work and living space to a world that is a bit more surreal than most dwellings .


Plans for 2014 are sketchy at best , although I am definitely beginning to seriously consider new characters , inspired by an originally unconceived plot device from the script , reindeer . It makes sense to me , being that in 2012s Fear the Season ; Princess Vivian's punishment for trying to steal Christmas is cleaning the barn . With 2013s A Snarky Fangsgrieving , the twins hide in the Sleigh House -which required the creation of not just Santa's sleigh but some tack and harnesses for the reindeer that pull it through the sky on his Christmas Eve journey delivering gifts . It's only natural to add some of Santa's trusty team of flying reindeer to the Snarky mix . Buttercup loves the idea , if only because of the " poop " jokes it offers .



As I wrap up Snarky The Elf for 2013 and look forward to Snarky The Elf 2014 , tradition it seems is at this time the best course . Kicked off with the " cast party " shot and Santa indulging his enthusiasm for beer , next came the new outfit for Snarky's resident fashion diva , Princess Vivian - who ALWAYS gets a new outfit at the close of a " season " .

As Ralphie mused in A Christmas Story " the mind boggles ! "

Mehree Cwissmus !!

No comments:

Post a Comment