Sunday, March 22, 2015

Return of an Elf named Snarky

Almost an entire year has passed since my last Snarky the Elf update .
Certainly not my intent , being that with the conclusion of the 2013
season " A Snarky Fangsgrieving " I was psyched up to take Snarky onto bigger and better things during 2014 .Life had other plans .

pooshin' mye buttinz
The Elf with the Attitude Returns ( hope hope )
I lost my job with the Walt Disney Company in September of 2014 , a
casualty of corporate cost-cutting and that pretty much put a screeching halt to everything I was doing creatively .
Now five and a half months later , I'm back working as a freelance
artist ( this translates to being broke all the time ) and looking at
ways to make money by doing what I do which is draw , paint and
sculpt .

There are no limits to storytelling
Ideas never die , the good ones evolve
I no longer have the luxury of spending hundreds of dollars
or hundreds of hours building sets and props for Snarky the Elf's
Annual Holiday Extravaganzas , but that's okay since I had
already begun considering alternative and simpler ways to work
with her on a more regular basis , saving the fumetti spectaculars
for the holiday specials . In the end it all comes down to the filthy
lucre with which to fund these creative excursions and since
Snarky began as a free entertainment medium it's something I have
tried to preserve , although the result of this is " no Snarky "
which really is a disservice to her as well as her fans .

The elf twins have become integral to the story of Snarky the Elf
The Twinz were the hardest to transition from puppets to 2D
Times have changed in the creative field , with the introduction of
crowdfunding platforms and creator sponsorships ; creators no
longer have to endlessly pitch to unimaginative editors-in-chiefs
their ideas - they can now go to the people who like their work and pitch them instead , building a foundation of support from the ground up to fund their creative impulse and this might very well be the future of Snarky The Elf , Buttercup and Hunnypie , Princess Vivian , Rhubarb and the rest . . . ( I had to pay homage to
Gilligan's Isle here . )

HONK !
Rhubarb the Peengin
Of course the double-edged knife to all this is I'm still paying to
keep her website open , and devoting time to developing the 3D
Doll versions into my own original interpretations for a 2D
illustrated comic format all at a no income generating phase so I
still face the distance between " inspiration " and " reality " that
no budget " carries with it . At this stage of the new Snarky
Game it's all smoke and mirrors hoping to survive long enough to
make it actually happen .

New cast - new adventures
Characters ntroduced at the end of the 2013 Season , finally get their shot .
The most difficult part is just doing it , and that at least has initiated
and part of my plan is to build a cornerstone that will allow me to
provide rewards for individual support - a " secret circle " of die-
hard fans to join me in bringing Snarky back and setting her up to
reach a wider audience to help support the effort of the work .

cheaper than building a new puppet at least
Santuh's Mail Carrier joins the cast
C. Bradford Gorby March 22 , 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment